Ferndale is fun for everyone!
A little bit about Ferndale
Ferndale is a city in Oakland County. As of the 2010 census, the city population was 19,900.
Ferndale is primarily residential, with a smaller commercial and industrial sector in the southeast part of the city. Ferndale’s business district is anchored by the intersection of Woodward Avenue and 9 Mile Road, where privately owned shops, storefronts, dance clubs, bars and numerous restaurants are featured. Ferndale is well known in the Detroit area for its LGBT population and progressive policies. It is also the setting for the NBC sitcom Undateable.
The 1980s and 90s saw the growth of the LGBT population in Ferndale. In 1999 a proposed non-discrimination ordinance was introduced in Ferndale, but was defeated. The Motor City Pride festival moved to Ferndale from Royal Oak in 2001. In 2006 the city passed an anti-discrimination ordinance protecting LGBT people from discrimination in public accommodations, housing, and business. Affirmations, a 17,000-square-foot LGBT community center in Downtown Ferndale, opened its new, expanded building on Sunday June 3, 2007, the same year the city elected the first openly-gay mayor in Michigan. In 2011, Motor City Pride moved to Detroit’s Hart Plaza. Ferndale Pride was started that year.
In recent years. Ferndale has had an influx of growth from small businesses, retail, dining and entertainment establishments. There is always something going on or an experience to be had. It’s proximity to downtown Detroit and the Woodward Corridor guarantee it’s popularity.
- Best Restaurants
- Imperial (amazing atmosphere and Mexican food/drinks)
- Anita’s Kitchen (some of the best Mediterranean food)
- Toast (killer breakfast spot)
- The Fly Trap
- Public House (great small plates)
- Local Kitchen and Bar (pretty patio and good food)
- Woodward Avenue Brewery or the WAB (looking for laid back and beer)
The Rust Belt Marketplace
- Unique Boutiques
- Found Sound (old school record store)
- The Rust Belt Market (weekend art marketplace)
- Community Events and Festivals
- The Front Porch – June 23 – musicians playing on porches!
- Pig & Whiskey – July 15-17 – Booze, BBQ & Bands
- DIY Street Fair – September 16-18
- Yoga at the Park (Saturdays June 26 – October) Geary Park
- Ferndale Dream Cruise August 19-20
- Points of Interest
- Valentine Vodka Distillery (Detroit classic, and amazing liquor made in-house)
- The Oakland (literally a Speakeasy, hidden*, there is no sign but drinks are amazing if you can find it!)
- The Magic Bag (quirky concert venue)
- Painting with a Twist (drink wine and paint with your friends)